The World Chairman of Keren Hayesod, Eliezer (Moodi) Sandberg, was born in Haifa in 1962. After graduating from the Leo Baeck High School, he studied law at Tel Aviv University. He performed his army service as a military prosecutor, achieving the rank of lieutenant.
Mr. Sandberg was elected to the Knesset at 1992 as a member of the Tsomet party. He held various posts in the government, serving as Minister of National Infrastructure, Member of the Economic Cabinet, Minister of Science and Technology, Chairman of the Ministerial Committee on Science and Technology, and Deputy Minister of Education, Culture and Sport. During his 14-year tenure in Israel’s parliament, he served on many important committees. He held a number of major positions, including that of Deputy Chairman of the Knesset and Chairman of the Subcommittee for the Corporations Law Bill.
From 1990 to 1992, Mr. Sandberg was Secretary General of the Tsomet party. In 1992 he was elected Chairman of the party faction in the Kenesset, a position he held until 1998. From 1999 to 2003 he served as Chairman of the Shinui party in the Knesset.
Mr. Sandberg held various positions during his Knesset service, including:
· Chairman of the Subcommittee on Hi-Tech, which he founded, Head of Israel's Parliamentary Delegation to the Council of Europe.
· Chairman of the Israel - Africa Friendship Society, which he founded.
· Political Advisor to the Science and Technology Committee of the Council of Europe.
· Chairman of the Israel-Finland, Israel-Brazil, and Israel-Vietnam parliamentary associations.
· Business Development Consultant to the Lobby for Friendship with Christian Friends of Israel.
Since retiring from politics in 2006, Mr. Sandberg has served as a director, consultant, and agent for various Israeli and foreign companies. He has also held various public positions, among them Chairman of the Ethiopian National Project (ENP) and of the National Innovation Fund of the Republic of Kazakhstan.
He and his wife, Einat, are the parents of three children.
He is a Member of the Board and the Executive since October 2010.